In about one week (9/25), I will turn the super exciting age of 30! I cannot wait, the 20’s were fun, but they were confusing, depressing, awesome, exciting and everything in between.
Here’s what I learned in my 20’s..
- What you do in your 20’s shows up in your 30’s. Listen to your Mom when she says, “wear sunscreen every day and take off all your makeup at night.” I’m SO happy I got into yoga at 23. It’s a skin-saver.
- It’s okay to go a different route. I thought I had to have a career with benefits and work the 9-5 to make my parents happy. When I told them this, they said, “You are not a 9-5er.” Lesson learned. Make yourself happy.
- You have control over your life road map...for the most part. You don’t HAVE to do anything. You make the choices, you say yes or no, you make or break commitments and that is that! (of course there are some things that you have no control over, like, your boyfriend cheating, jobs getting cancelled, being diagnosed with a mental disorder, breaking your foot, etc.)
- If you aren’t making enough money, do something else! If that means getting uncomfortable, do it! Don’t wallow in your misery, make changes NOW!
- You can change your body at any point in time, it’s not a quick fix, but hard work pays off. In my twenties, I suffered a lot with this one. “I’m not skinny enough, I don’t weigh what I want to weight, blah blah blah…” Entering my 30’s I am damn proud of what this body has allowed me to do!
- You will lose people. I am not just talking about death, I am talking about the peeps who you considered best friends. Life will change. People will get married, advance in their careers, have opposite schedules. Make time for the friendships you value! Time is so precious.
- Family is the most important. How awesome is it to get older and know you always have someone you love to hang out with? I love that at any moment I can call my sister and see if she wants to hang out or go get pedicures. She makes me laugh harder than anyone in this world. That is awesome.
- Your parents are usually right, unfortunately. This one makes me want to take off in a full sprint. The longer you live, the more experiences you have, the more chances you take, you learn…every time. Parents make mistakes and they either repeat them or change. Learn from them, they’ve been through more and that’s true at any age. They will always be older than you. Remind them of this, it makes them happy.
- Trust, mutual respect & honesty is where it’s at. Bottom line, without these 3 things, relationships don’t have a chance in hell. Throw in some humor, intelligence and attractiveness and you have got yourself a life partner.
- Do things you shouldn’t. There were times when I knew I shouldn’t… but I did. And I learned a TON. Sometimes it’s fun to get into a little trouble or be bad. Not to the point where it’s going to ruin a relationship or career, but take a walk on the wild side and let your hair down! You can always blame it on “being in your twenties!”
30th Birthday, I am sliding in with a Hunger Games-like cape and a personality like Lucille Ball!