This is my buddy boy when he was 6/7 months old. We decided to feed him like we eat. I have played with so many different food lifestyles and this May I went plant based. I don’t like labels, so I don’t call myself a vegan, I am not strict and if there was ever a time I craved animal protein, I would eat it. It hasn’t happened in the last 7 months, but if it does, I’m giving my body what it needs.
My husband Alex went plant based with me for 3 months, but he was withering away and felt like he needed to add in animal protein. At first I was like, “YOU ARE LEAVING THE TEAM.” But then I calmed down and said…”oh…I see you’re eating more bacon.” I think it smells like shit, so that’s really the only thing that annoys me. And when he makes eggs I want to gag. BLAH. The smell is rancid.
We have given Bode (our now 11 month old) essentially fruits, veggies, gluten free gains and plant based protein. On Thanksgiving he had some turkey, because I felt he should experience it, but he wasn’t a huge fan. He ate it but he didn’t get as excited as he does for other foods.
I mostly work from home and cooking from home is very important to our fam. I like to know what is in my food and I like to feel good. It’s as simple as that.
These meals are SOOOO EASY! I feed Bode what I eat so I just double batch it.
- Oatmeal with almond butter and cinnamon
- Gluten free pancakes with banana and super greens powder
- Quinoa with coconut milk and cinnamon and a sprinkle of ginger
- Mashed Butternut squash with hemp seeds
- Mashed Avocado with hemp seeds
- Scrambled eggs with Spinach (I know this isn’t plant based but I worry about his B12 and I don’t want to give him a supplement, so I feed him scrambled eggs a few days a week. When I feel more comfy with him taking a supp or getting a b12 shot, we can switch to that).
- Banana (literally he eats the whole thing)
- Avocado (he eats the ENTIRE thing)
- Blueberries (organic or wild)
- Apple sauce (he lovesssss it)
- Black beans with rice (gluten free + vegan)
- Mashed sweet potatoes with hemp seeds
- Mashed yams + carrots + spinach with lentils
- Smoothie: blueberries, dates, coconut milk, SunWarrior protein powder
- Acai bowl with fresh fruit
- Filtered water
- Coconut water
I would love to hear from you if you feed your baby plant based meals and snacks.
Cheers to healthy babies growing into healthy adults!!!!